Sunday, May 30, 2010

Creative Herbal Salad Marinade

Surviving the Middle Class CrashMay 29, 2010
Creative Herbal Salad Marinade
Posted by tempestodimare under Cooking, Growing Your Own
[3] Comments
Okay friends, I am sharing my challenge with you, which I bit off and well, chewed.

A friend said “bring a creative broccoli dish for dinner, how is that for a challenge?” So I whipped up a salad marinade with herbs from the garden, to pour over the steamed/cooled broccoli. It turned out pretty tasty, so I thought I would share this with you—here it is. Working with herbs fresh from the garden is just so darned fun, it just “shows to go you” how enjoyable it can be to garden at home. I must qualify that I almost never measure when I am cooking, preferring to creatively play in the kitchen rather than be boxed in by a recipe. So I can only estimate the proportions of the herbs I used. I hope you enjoy. Best wishes, Drina

4 Tbsp. lemon juice, fresh squeezed

1 Tbsp. cider vinegar

1/2 cup olive oil

Foreground herbs, fresh-chopped: Lemon balm, watercress (about 3/4 Tbsp. each)

Secondary flavor: Mint leaves, finely chopped (about 1 or 1 -1/2 tsp.)

Background flavor: oregano, basil, fresh chopped (about 1/2 tsp each, to taste)
Mix all together, and add to freshly steamed/cooled veggies (mixed or solo, as you wish)…broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, zucchini, with colorful cherry tomatoes or pearl onions ad lib. Marinate for at least four hours. The result should taste like a lemony/lemon balm flavor with the nippy “zip” from watercress, backed by the cooling sparkle of fresh mint, and other herbs as background flavor. Enjoy!

No comments: